In José Manuel Valero S.L. company, environmental excellence is a corporate value. Therefore, it carried outs its business activities in a manner that is respectful towards the environment and based on circular economy.
In compliance with its environmental commitments, Valero applies the following generally accepted basic principles, which are part of its environmental policy:
- EPS (expanded polystyrene) is 100 % recyclable.
- No CFSs, HCFCs, HFCs or any other organochlorinated components are used either in the manufacturing or the transformation of EPS.
- 50% of the EPS is used in building insulation or as lightening material in different constructions. The amount of waste is thereby reduced.
- The remaining 50%, once it has been ground down, is recycled in several ways.
- To manufacture new EPS pieces.
- As stuffing, when compacted.
- The ground material is added to other construction materials (lightened mortars, lightened bricks, light concrete, etc.).
- Once it has been compacted in the form of pellets, it may be used to manufacture simple pieces through injection moulding, such as hangers, pens, covers, office supplies, etc.
José Manuel Valero S.L., as EPS transformer, bases its environmental commitment on the following key pillars:
- That EPS transformation and use does not entail any risk to human health or to the environment.
- That EPS does not damage the ozone layer, since it does not use, or has never used, during its manufacturing process, gases that damage the atmosphere.
- That the transformation process uses little energy and does not create waste.
- Using EPS to insulate buildings implies significant savings in energy when acclimatising buildings and a drastic drop of polluting emissions (CO2 and SO2). This contributes to alleviate “greenhouse effects” and “acid rain”.
- That EPS does not support fungi and bacteria.
- EPS represents a very small part (0,1%) of solid urban waste generated in Spain. EPS has a minimal impact on the total waste we generate.
- EPS products hold a great caloric potential (1 kg of EPS is equivalent to 1.3 l of liquid fuel), making it a fitting material for energy recovery.
- Since it does not dissolve in water, EPS does not release water-soluble substances that may pollute underground water.
Not only are we committed to EPS waste, but in everything we generate. For this reason, we have implemented in our facilities waste collection points, both in office and factory areas. We have also reached agreements with authorised companies for the other products generated.